Anyway, our last Sunday was last Sunday (?). I taught my Sunday school class and met Ryan in the late service to hear Robin preach one last time. Now granted neither the church or us are dying, but we won't be back to worship with the church probably until Christmas, so I needed to be in the service. Now, we're on the hunt for a new home church and not only does it kinda suck, it's scary. I am reluctant, but I am aware that this is what God wants. I'm excited about that, and a little nervous.
We informally established guidelines for our church hunt and since I'm spending the day at home quite ill with a doctor's appointment coming up, I decided to search via Googlemaps for churches over here. I googled baptist churches within ten miles, but knew I wouldn't want to go that far. Well I got six pages, so that was promising. We already knew about a few churches from friends and family, so we added those to the list.
- The church has to have a website.
- this may sound shallow, but hear me out. If the church has a website that means they are interested in reaching our generation somehow, they are progressive and this could imply they are interested in community as we are.
- Hymns are great, but I find hymns are just not my worship style. They can be beautiful and full of truth, but I struggle to find depth and meaning in my worship with hymns. Contemporary worship fits me and Ryan better.
- The church doesn't necessarily have to be a baptist church, but the mission statement of the church needs to declare Jesus and the gospel. We want the Bible and not a prosperity or "happy people" message. We will start with Baptist churches though.
- We want a Sunday school class full of young married people who can relate to where we are in our life and marriage. We would like to get involved in a Bible study group during the weeknights to build friendships and serve the church.
As for the visitation process; we will choose one church, not sure how yet, go to their contemporary worship service, and possibly a Sunday school class and have a debriefing, then we'll hit up another church the next Sunday. I realize this will be a lengthy process, so we need to be patient and not become discouraged. There are so many options.
The compiled list:
- West University Baptist Church
- Houston's First Baptist Church
- Tallowood Baptist Church
- Memorial Drive Baptist Church
Berachah Church Ecclesia