{The Father of mercies and God of all comfort}

Thursday, June 16, 2011

My Job

  I graduated from Baylor University (Sic 'em Bears!) with a degree in child development and family studies. I really had no clue which direction God would take this. I developed a heart and passion for children the last semester I was at San Jac (community college). I was working at my local church and knew that business, what my associate degree is, was not what God wanted me to do.

  I had no idea that God would even lead me to Baylor. I'm so glad He did. I knew coming out of school I would probably not make very much money, but the hope was the husband would come out of school making good money. Well if it ain't always the way, God showed me my plans were not His. Man I really hate being wrong! Ryan did not finish school and I got a low paying job, as was anticipated. I am an infant teacher for a Day School at a Methodist church in River Oaks. Technically an early childhood teacher. NOT a childcare provider and it is NOT a daycare! I hate those words.

  I've said it a million times, I love my job!! However, our monthly student loan bills are steep. Even with getting out federal bills down to two digits each, we still struggle. Ryan works a low paying, temporary, part-time job. And if it can't get any worse after six months of working for the company they are supposed to offer him a full time position, but his immediate boss said they may ask him to take a few days off. You know so it doesn't look like he's worked there for six months and they won't be obligated to give him a permanent job. Also, Ryan thinks that if they ask him to take off, they won't ask him to come back. This hits hard in light of our bills.

  My job brings me a ton of joys I never knew like:
   -I've discovered that I LOVE babies. I mean it. I can't look at a baby without wanting to hold it and play with it and read to it. LOVE LOVE LOVE
   -I'm really good at what I do. When I was given the job I was incredibly nervous, because I'd never worked with infants. It's natural and lovely.
  -Babies are sooo smart and they grow soooooo fast. It's unbelievable and I can hardly believe a year has already gone by.

   It also reminds me:
   -mucus grosses me out more than poop.
   -I still can't handle vomit
   -parents can be so intimidating and hard to talk to
   -Being in a place of authority is frustrating and the art of persuasion has to be mastered in regards to co-workers
   -I knew nothing about being closely connected to an infant and caring so intently for them.

  They make me want a baby of mine own it breaks my heart. One of my babies is an incredible hugger. He just sits with his arms around you neck with the sweetest expression on his face, like, "I'm so happy to be here with you today, just hold me a minute before I go back to play." If I love these babies so much, how much more am I going to love my own!? I believe this is what the Bible tells us about God's love for his children. He gives the birds of the air all they need to survive and he clothes the lilies wit so much beauty How much more will he give to his children who love him!? Oh God is good.

Father's Day craft without the faces. They're lions
 
  This brings me to a conclusion, sort of. I am applying at a children's center, which does adoption and foster care, that a school parent of mine works at. I've applied for a few positions I am qualified for and hope to hear from the center in the next couple of weeks or days. I need a greater income and have hopes that the center can do that. I have no idea how this will work, nor do I know if God wants this, but I am pursuing it and will continue to pray. If God deems it unnecessary, then I will stop pursuit and stay where I am, because I adore it! I may start searching for a job with more pay more thoroughly in the next few months. I'll keep you posted.

No comments: