{The Father of mercies and God of all comfort}

Monday, April 11, 2011

Le probleme sur la table...

How do you say "oops" in French. Maybe it's something like, "I ruined the in laws cherry finished coffee table" (rough translation). That's right you read it correctly, big fat oops on my part.

The story:
     I was taking the fingernail polish off of my toes and re-painting, nothing out of the ordinary. It was a Wednesday night and Ryan and I were watching American Idol. I had multiple q-tips for touch ups, cotton balls, and I laid it all on a paper towel folded in quarters, so four layers of paper towel. When the show ended Ryan and I went to Kroger for some cookies and other stuff. We get back, make a lunch and get ready for bed. Ryan hops in the shower and I'm downstairs picking up our nighttime mess: drinking glasses, shoes, etc. Well this nighttime mess included my fingernail polish remover items that I left on the coffee table. I've done this many a time and have yet to have an experience like I did this night. I pick up the q-tips and attempt to remove the paper towel from the table and as I pick it up I feel resistance. Hmm. I pull harder and most of the paper towel came off the table, but I was left staring at this...


This is where I start to panic. You see how the indention of the paper towel was left on the table as well as the white from the paper towel. Yea big time suck. I try to scrub it off but it gets worse. I was running out of time, so I put a coaster over the spot and turned the table to face the other way. All night I was thinking that the table was ruined and I was screwed, but I told a co-worker the next morning and she told me about "Old English", it's a stain/polish/scratch remover. That day after work I run to Lowe's, but I don't find it. I'm thinking as I look at all of the wood touch up products that wood putty would fill in the holes, but I'd have to sand it and re-finish the spot and I don't know what kind of finish is on the table, so I leave frustrated. The next day at lunch I go to Kroger by my school and what do you know! They have the product. I buy the dark wood finish bottle, it was only like $5.
Something like three days goes by before I use the stuff on the table. Sunday, while Ryan was in the shower, I followed the directions and tried to fix the spot.
I rub some on the spot and this is the result! It looks good right? You'd never be able to tell it was so screwed up. Wrong...
Do you see that dull spot I circled? Well I thought that was terrible, so I kept at it. There were still indentions from the paper towel, so I lightly sanded them down and tried more of the Old English. It wasn't working like I'd wanted, so I also bought a touch up marker, which have more saturated color. I touched up the visibly lighter spot and rubbed away with the polish. The combination made for a better result, but if you sit at the right angle, only I know about, you can still see some dullness. However, this is what the spot looks like to the untrained, unscrewed eye.
The spot is slightly noticeable, but not as much in person even in the daylight. If anyone has a more permanent fix that doesn't involve re-staining, I'd love to know!

3 comments:

Emily P. said...

can't help you...sorry!

Jessica Krzyz said...

bahaha! i dont have a fix, but i am laughing. hah, sorry love.

Amanda said...

I am so sad for that beautiful cherry wood. The only way to actually fix it is to refinish it. You did the best that could be done. Has anyone noticed yet? are there other scratches or stuff on the table?