{The Father of mercies and God of all comfort}

Thursday, February 10, 2011

What a Day...Simply Too Much

     This morning I wake up early for work, take my shower, fix my hair, and finish putting on my makeup. I'm applying the last bit of mascara when I hear Coco under the covers scratching the sheets, like he always does. He did this for some time and woke Ryan up. He stopped scratching the sheets and started hyperventilating/choking/wheezing. It was almost normal except he wasn't moving, but laying there on the bed, not normal. I went over to the bed and Ryan sat up to look at Coco. He was still not moving and unresponsive. Finally, it seemed like an eternity, he jumped and tried to run off the bed, but fell between the mattress and foot board. Ryan though maybe he was too hot and said to take his jacket off, so I tried and coco tried to bite me, what!? I tried again and he did it again. I was completely freaked. Ryan moved him and he was just laying on his side with his arms and legs at weird angles in the air and his head at a weird angle. At this point he was becoming oriented again, but still weird. The hair on his back was standing up like when he gets mad and then he peed on himself, and the bed :( I thought for sure he was paralyzed he looked so scary. I started crying just thinking that he couldn't move and I'd have to bring him to the vet and have him put to sleep, because I can't care properly for a dog that can't move. After about two more minutes he moved his leg and then jumped up off the bed! What?! He was fine. He ate some food and was acting like Coco.
     When Ryan has questions about anything he doesn't know the answer to he googles it. He googled what happened to Coco and found some things that could have happened. Terrifying. After all of this we knew he needed to go to the doctor. I made an appointment for this afternoon. The doctor saw us and asked what happened. We told him the story and he basically told us Coco had a seizure. It's apparently common in dogs and about thirty dogs at our vet's office are on anti-seizure medication. He took some blood and they're running tests and will let us know tomorrow what they find. The doctor told us seizures can be caused from kidney problems or liver problems, but Coco is a very healthy dog and we don't think he has those problems. We were also told that he may always have seizures frequently from now on, or he may never have one again. I'm going to go with never again please!
It was way too much emotional stress first thing in the morning, not to mention terrifying. I love my Coco bear and would be very upset if I lost him when I've only had him 2 & 1/2 years. I'm pretty sure if I ever saw a human seizure I would have a heart attack or something akin, maybe my old anxiety palpitations, but it would not be good. I am exhausted.

1 comment:

Emily P. said...

poor puppy...but I have heard of this before.